INTRODUCTION TO THE rEAL sCHOOL oF aRT
*TERMs 1 – 4 are NOW online in the members’ area*
The REAL SCHOOL OF ART is a YEAR-LONG course, with ten intensively creative terms and two ‘implementation’ months which will allow you to catch-up, reflect and share.
SCROLL DOWN for course outline and INTRO VIDEOS
This course is much more than a conventional art school, or a course in creativity: it’s going to teach you the difference between ‘artist’ and ARTIST!
It’ll support your creative unfolding, help you get onto a real career path, keep you on track for a truly vibrant and super-fulfilling creative lifestyle …and shedloads more.
The school contains 10 terms, each with 10 – 15 video lessons and worksheets: it’s all presented in easily-digestible bite-sized pieces with simple tasks and questions to guide you into your unique creative life and work.
The vision of the RSOA is to
open a gateway into your immense creative potential!
OUTLINE OF THE COURSE:
MAKING SPACE TO MAKE
Getting your insides and outsides in order, for your creativity to start burning bright!
MODULE ONE: the inside
- Child’s play
- Starting small
- Growing confidence
- Ego and the death of creative flow
MODULE TWO: the outside
- The physical space
- Working to a budget
- Ritual and domestic alchemy
- Making a space special and sacred
- Being realistic
- Working through resistance
- Keeping open
PREPARING YOUR STRONG FOUNDATION
The basics: building a strong container for your practise, and moving you towards professionalism.
1. line – worksheet on line drawing
2. shape and shading
5. texture and detail
6. outside painting
7. painting what you love versus what you hate!
BEFORE OIL PAINTING:
12. mixing palettes
13. thinners checklist on thinners
WHAT TO PAINT ONTO
14. hard surfaces
15. less-hard surfaces
16. found materials and experimenting
LIVING YOUR STRONG FOUNDATION
Being an artist means taking each challenge head-on, and coming out thriving!
2. allowing chaos to reign
3. reining-in chaos
4. more formal approaches
BASIC TECHNIQUES IN OIL
5. practise by doing
8. drying oil paint
11. how much should I paint on this/ when is it finished?
12. re-painting an old painting
13. copying – but only for learning – and/ or adapting it to your style!
BUSTING THROUGH RESISTANCE
With a strong personal strategy, and methodical attention to discipline, you’ll be unstoppable!
3. internal negativity
4. external negativity
6. being totally unique
7. wilderness, silence, solitude
8. waking up!
9. right season
THE JOYS OF IMPERFECTION:
11. mistakes + finishing things imperfectly
12. clearing out stagnancy
13. knowing what skills you need to improve
KEEPING UP MOMENTUM
Don’t run out of steam early on: learn how to harvest energy and enthusiasm!
1. family and friends
3. galleries and institutions
4. press and professionals
6. exposure to visual nourishment
7. deeper, soul stimulation
8. professional napping
WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS PAINTING NOW?
9. finishing off a painting
10. storing artwork, and pitfalls
11. finding place and purpose in the world
12. shipping, returns, etc
STARTING AN ART CAREER
…like you mean to go on!
- digital storage
- sharing and copyright
- printing and presentation
HOLDING YOUR FIRST EXHIBITION:
- first steps
- gaining momentum
- pitfalls or early career bloopers
- getting over fears
- presenting online
- creating passive income
- the back-up
- in it for the long-term
YOUR LONG-TERM ART CAREER:
Building and building and building on your successes!
2. being realistic and ambitious
3. the win-win-win sale
4. start as you mean to go on (visualising)
FINDING AND KEEPING CLIENTS:
6. a strong core client base
7. letting go of people who aren’t totally behind you
8. clear boundaries
12. journeys and adventures
13. retreats and residencies
Further into the discipline, your skills, your path as an artist.
- FINDING YOUR NARRATIVE
- WORKING ABSTRACTLY
- DISTANCE, SPACE
- WORKING DIRECTLY FROM NATURE: a) flower b) wood c) animal d) figure
- WORKING FROM LANDSCAPE: a) en plein air b) from photos c) from memory d) sketch work e) feeling
- WORKING WITH WILDNESS: a) getting it OUT b) balancing what comes up, without overwhelm c) making a mess, neatening it up d) emergence-y.
- WORKING WITH THE QUIET SELF a) meditation b) your favourite places to ‘take a moment’ c) regular anchoring in nature d) know when to stop
YOUR LONG-TERM ART PRACTISE
More methodical, potent techniques for sustaining a practise.
- YOUR PLACE IN CULTURE
- KEEPING THE INSPIRATION WELL FULL
- ALLOWING CHANGE
- STAYING CENTRED
- KEEPING IT TIDY
- DABBLING vs PROFESSIONAL
YOUR LONG-TERM ART CAREER
Continuing as you mean to endure – with confidence, discipline, focus, ethics.
- COLLECTIVE CONSCIOUSNESS: having a finger on the pulse, but beating to your own drum
- KEEPING IT SUPER-SIMPLE
- THE BACK-UP
- BEING COMMUNITY
- BEING DEEPLY AND INTIMATELY CONNECTED
- HAVING A 5-STAR BUSINESS, AND KEEPING IT SO
- NOT FORCING IT
The RSOA course is being released throughout 2017:
YOU GET ACCESS TO IT via PATREON
IF YOU SIGN UP FOR $30 OR MORE per month
You can also see snippets and excerpts via PATREON as a subscriber FOR LESS THAN $30, GET A TASTE OF IT UNTIL you’re ready to sign up!
THE FULL COURSE WILL BE AVAILABLE ON TEACHABLE IN EARLY 2018
This series of short videos will give you an insight into the RSOA’s philosophy and approach.
ONE: WHAT IS ART?!
TWO: WHAT IS CREATIVITY?
THREE: WHY IS CREATIVITY SO VITAL TODAY?
FOUR: WHAT IS THE RSOA, AND WHAT CAN IT TEACH ME?
FIVE: THE COURSE – OUTLINED
SIX: WHO THE HECK ARE YOU TO TEACH THIS?!
SEVEN: WHAT IF I DON’T PAINT – WILL THE RSOA TEACH ME OTHER STUFF?
EIGHT: WHY SIGN UP NOW?
NINE: SEIZE THE DAY!
TEN: HOW TO SEIZE THE DAY!
IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU SEE SIGN UP NOW ON PATREON
FOR THE $30 OR MORE PER MONTH REWARD TIER
The whole RSOA course will also soon be for sale on TEACHABLE